Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPDATE part of MERGE INTO problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeppoDarkson

Programmer
Oct 9, 2002
IT
Hi to all,
may I update a field that is part of the "ON" clause of a MERGE INTO statement?

I have two tables for temperature data: TReal And TTemp with the same structure:
IdStation, DT_Hour, Measure, Rank

I want to insert in TReal the missing records of TTemp (same IdStation & DT_Hour)
and
to Update Measure and Rank Of records with same IdStation & DT_Hour but TReal.Rank <= TTemp.Rank

The statement:
Code:
Merge into TReal R
Using (Select Id,IdSens,Dt,Valore,XXXX From TTEMP) T
ON (R.IdStation = T.IdStation and R.Dt_Hour=T.Dt_Hour And [COLOR=red]R.RANK[/color] <= T.RANK)
When Matched Then Update Set R.Measure=T.Measure , [COLOR=red]R.RANK[/color] = T.Rank
When not Matched Then Insert(IdStation Dt_Hour ,Measure,Rank) Values (T.IdStation ,T.Dt_Hour ,T.Measure,T.Rank)

Says that is an Ora-00904 error (no field) on the 3rd row at R.Rank.

It seems that this is caused by the Update clause:
When I create a new field TReal.Rank2 and upate this instead of Rank everithing works.

Code:
Merge into TReal R
Using (Select Id,IdSens,Dt,Valore,XXXX From TTEMP) T
ON (R.IdStation = T.IdStation and R.Dt_Hour=T.Dt_Hour And [COLOR=red]R.RANK[/color] <= T.RANK)
When Matched Then Update Set R.Measure=T.Measure , [COLOR=green]R.RANK2[/color] = T.Rank
When not Matched Then Insert(IdStation Dt_Hour ,Measure,Rank) Values (T.IdStation ,T.Dt_Hour ,T.Measure,T.Rank)

So, may I update a field that is part of the "ON" clause of a MERGE INTO statement?

Thank You.
Geppo Darkson.

Sorry, the second row is:
Code:
Using (Select IdStation,Dt_Hour,Measure,Rank From TTEMP) T

I've notice also that "R.RANK <= T.RANK" in the ON clause triggers the INSERT statement for records (not matched) that haves a R.Rank higher than T.Rank, duplicating the primary key IdStation+Dt_Hour

Should I make two distinct query for insert and for update?

Thank you.

The answer to your question is "no" - it's not permitted to update columns mentioned in the ON clause of a merge into statement. Because of this limitation of the merge command, I would tend to split your operation into separate update and inserts.

Hi to all.

I've solved this problem using this:

Code:
Merge into TReal R
Using
(Select TTemp.Id,TTemp.IdSens,TTemp.Dt,TTemp.Valore,TTemp.Rank,
              TReal.Rank As TrRank
       From TTemp Left Outer Join TReal
       On TTemp.IDSENS = TReal.IdSens
       and TReal.Dt=TTemp.Dt
       [B]Where ((TReal.Rank Is Null) OR (TTemp.Rank >= TReal.Rank)) [/B]
) T
ON (R.IDSENS = T.IdSens and R.Dt=T.Dt)
When Matched Then Update Set R.Valore=T.Valore, R.Rank = T.Rank
When not Matched Then Insert(IdSens,Dt,Valore,Rank) Values (T.IdSens,T.Dt,T.Valore,T.Rank)

It works by filtering the USING clause excluding the records with TTemp.Rank < TReal.Rank, so no updating nor inserting are performed for the unwanted records (low rank) because they are not present in the "Using" resultset.

Ciao,
Geppo Darkson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back