Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Links

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2006
US
"This workbook contains links to other data sources.

- If you update the links, Excel will attempt to retrieve the latest data.
- If you don't update the links, Excel will use the previous information.

Note that data links can be used to access and share confidential information without your permission and possibly perform other harmful actions. Do no update the links if you do not trust the source of the workbook. "

I have an outside link to another workbook, but the link does not update when i press the Update button. What could be wrong? I've linked to workbooks before.

Thanks!

where is the other workbook stored? does it still exist? Do you have permissions on the folder the linked workbook resides in? What is your link formula?

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

It does look like something is wrong with the links. But i don't know why. It have the whole path showing. But when they were created it only have the abbreviated path. I'll try to do a search and see if i can change all the paths back but that will be a lot of work because i protected all the sheets. I hate excel because it always changes stuff without permission.

Any suggestions?

excel doesn;t change stuff without permission. If the links have changed it is because something has happened to force it to do so. Sounds like the folder it was linking to has been moved...

I might be able to make more suggestions if you answered my questions....

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

"I hate excel because it always..."

Comes from a lack of knowledge. Excel is a superb spreadsheet application. Is it perfect? No, but understanding its strengths and limitations, enables one to harness the vast and powerful features that are available

Tek-Tips is one place to increase your knowledge. But in order to be able to shed any light on your issue, you must state your problem CLEARLY, CONCISELY and COMPLETELY.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a group touring the Crest Toothpaste factory got caught in a large cooler, headlines read...
Tooth Company Freeze a Crowd! and
Many are Cold, but Few are Frozen![tongue][/sub]

That symptom indicates that files you linked to were either open when you created the links and then saved to different directories, or were originally in the same directory as the linked file and then moved to different directories, or you changed the directory of the linked file.
Excel tries to be helpful when you save files to different directory, but it can't read minds and often loses track.
In those cases, you probably need to re-link the files.

Thanks. I did revise these files once. So I may have made a mistake. That is why i don't like making multiple revisions quickly. So maybe its my fault.

Skip, you are wonderful guy. So i can't complain. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back