Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update from Zenworks 4.01 ir6 to Zenworks 4.01 ir7

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilonbrad

Technical User
Nov 19, 2005
CA
Hi,

We are currently running Netware 6.0 SP5 and Zenworks 4.01 ir6.

Visiting Novell's website today I noticed an update for Zenworks 4.01
which is interm release 7 that was released a little while back.

We like to apply necessary patches and I want to apply Zenwork 4.01 ir7.

At the school where I work we use Zen partitions and we store a local
image on each computer. Everything is working great.

When I update from Zenworks 4.01 ir6 to Zenworks 4.01 ir7 on the server
will the Zen partition get updated as well when each computer gets
rebooted at the No Work To do Screen or do I have to go around to each
computer and boot up with the Zenworks 4.01 ir7 CD and then do an Install
and choose update?

The only concern I have when doing the update from Zenworks 4.01 ir6 to
Zenworks 4.01 ir7 is that I will have to go around to each computer and
update the zen partition from the Zenworks 4.01 ir7 boot CD.

I have about 315 computers at the high school and a vast majoirty of the
CD-ROMS don't work due to vandalism.

I understand that the Zen Imaging server gets updated as I apply the
Zenwork 4.01 ir7 update, but I'm not sure if the Zen Partition
automatically gets updated as well. I also know that in order to get the
full effect of Zenworks 4.01 ir7, I have to go around and update the
management agents for that release as well which is no big deal.

Is there a way to avoid updating the Zen Partition from the boot CD and
to make it automatically update after applying the Zenworks 4.01 ir7
patch to the server?

Thanks!

Some good questions, afraid I do not have an answer for you, but good question indeed. All of my clients have upgraded to 6.5 and now going to 7, so I won't get a chance to play with the ZfD4 update, plus I only used PXE, never used the image partition.

But I do want to ask, is there an issue you are having the update will fix? Not much point in installing an update that will be time consuming at the least if it's not helpping you in anyway ...... unless your bored of course. :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Hey Provogeek,

We weren't having any troubles with Zenworks 4.01 ir6.

I guess I was try and apply the most up to date patches :)

By the way, I figured out how to update the zen partitions from the server and not needing the CD.

I know you use PXE but just in case your interested you can do a search for self updating mechanism which uses the ZUpdate.sig and ZUpdate.s files on the server to force down the upadtes to the Zen Partition.

By the way, are you running Windows XP Professional SP2 on your computers.

We are having one problem sometimes when a user logs in their drives don't get mapped and the NResults show that nothing in the login script got mapped. Other times when a user logs in the mappings occur as they should.

This only happens on Windows XP Professional SP2 and not Windows XP Professional SP1.

We are running Netware 6.0 SP5, Zenworks 4.01 ir7 and Novell Client 4.91 SP (Patch B) on our Windows XP Professional SP2 and Windows XP Professional SP1 computers.

The reason why we didn't fully install Windows XP Professional SP2 and leave some computers Windows XP Professional SP1 is for testing reasons.

We disabled the Windows Firewall as well and still the drive mapping issues as a user logs in on Windows XP Professional SP2 computers. As mentioned above sometimes the drives get mapped when a user logs in and other time the drives don't get mapped when a user logs in on a Windows XP Professional SP2 computer.

Have you had these kinds of issues with Windows XP Professional SP2 and if so do you have a solution for it?

Thanks and take care!

I would first look at what protocol the workstations are using, if both IP and IPX are installed, remove IPX.

Then check your SLP config. If you go to a DOS box on the workstations having issues, and type in SLPINFO /d, does it know about the DA? and what scope it is using?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back