Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Forefront on Isolated Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgoldb1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2006
US
I have an Exchange 2007 installation with ForeFront security. The installation of Exchange/Forefront is installed on an isolated network (not connected to the internet). The issues I am having is that I need to update the virus definitions for Exchange without actually having the Forefront server connect to the internet. How can the definitions be updated in this configuration?

Would it be possible to install Forefront on a server connected to the internet and then copy the updates from there?

Thanks for the help.

Would it be possible to configure the server for a limited connection to the internet, locking it down to only access the Microsoft Update site?

Otherwise, you can set the server to do updates manually instead of automatically, and you can use the links in this KB article to manually download the updates and copy them over to the server for installation:

You don't need to install ForeFront on a separate server to do this, you can just download them to a workstation and move them over to the production server.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

If the Exchange server is isolated from the Internet, do you need more up to date definitions?

That support doco is for Forefront Client Security, not Forefront for Exchange. We have the same situation with an isolated environment and the only way we can do it is to have Exchange 2007 on a test server with an internet connection. We update all signatures, then copy "c:\program files\miscrosoft forefront security\exchange server\data\engines\x86" to a place on the isolated servers. We then share out this loation and have the Forefront administrator on each Exchange server set to check the share for updated signatures. Unlike the client application, forefront for exchange sigs are not available from wsus as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back