Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Fields -- concatenate fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted111

Technical User
Dec 29, 2001
US
Your question was
"This should be simple, but my pursuit through a couple of 1000 page Access tomes has not yielded an easy solution.

I am importing name and address fields from an Excel database into a donor database in Access 2000. The problem is that the fields do not correspond. In one case, there are two address fields that need to be integrated into a single field.

In another case, there is a combined name field that needs to be disaggregated into first name and last. I would assume that the best thing to do is to import them as they stand and then use an update query to move the data into the correct fields, but I am yet to find a simple way to do what would have been simple to do in DBase III years ago.

If you could do it in dBase III, then you can do it in Access. Explain the steps you would have taken for dBase (so we know what the data is like), and we'll try to provide the steps in Access.
Basically, you can write a couple of Functions which can be called using an Update Query, or you can use code to Loop through the RecordSet and test it and do the Updates that way with .Edit and .Update

PaulF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back