Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update field length on all DB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertfah

Programmer
Mar 20, 2006
US
Is there a way to programmatically change the length of a varchar field on a specific table across multiple DB's? I've got a field in a table that I need to make the length bigger (currently it's varchar(50) and needs to be varchar(200)) and I've got to do it across 35+ DB's. All the tables and fields are the same in each DB so if I get it for one, I should be able to get it for all of them.

[!]PLEASE make sure you have a backup of all your db's before doing this.[/!]

Run this in a query window. It should return the TSQL you need to update the column in all your tables.

Code:
Select 'Alter Table [' + Name + '].[dbo].[YourTableName] Alter Column [YourColumnName] VarChar(200)' From sys.databases
Where  database_id > 4

After running the query, you should be able to copy/paste the output to a new query window.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thanks GMM...I'll give this a try once I get a chance to back it up. I will let you know if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back