Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

update failed for .net framework 2.0 sp2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscallisto

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
update failed for .net framework 2.0 sp2 kb28898856, kb2901111 and kb2836941

Running XP sp3 all latest updates

Tek-Tips search of this forum yielded only posts from 2007 and 2011 directed at XP sp2

There are so many posts and suggestions on Microsoft sites that either don't work or I'm not sure who has the best approach.

Any help is welcome

What are you upgrading from? If it is SP0, then you need SP1 before SP2 or SP3.

I wasn't voluntarily upgrading at all.
I currently have .net 2.0 SP2, .net 3.0 SP2 and .net 3.5 SP1 all loaded with install dates of 10/18/2013.
This update simply came from MS and I tried to install as usual and ended up with "update failed" errors.

The Event Viewer shows:
EventType visualstudio8setup, P1 microsoft .net framework 2.0-kb2836941, P2 1033, P3 1603, P4 msi, P5 f, P6 9.0.40215.0, P7 install, P8 x86, P9 xp, P10 2721.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at

I've had this happen before on other PCs and found fixes which entailed uninstalling .net and starting over.
I can't find similiar fixes for these three KBs.

Do you really need all the updates? Isn't .net 3.5 backward compatible with all the others? All you need is a config file to run your programs.

Strange thing happened.
The update icon for the 3 KBs listed above suddenly disappeared from the task bar notification area so all is well.
I chose not to do updates when I last shutdown so I don't know why the icon disappeared.
But alas all seems to be ok.

xwb said:
Isn't .net 3.5 backward compatible with all the others?
I'm not sure; I've read that some "old" software may refer to code that only appears in older .net versions.
It would be nice to know if I could really remove older .net versions.

Isn't .net 3.5 backward compatible with all the others?
No, .NET versions are not inclusive of prior versions like service packs are. They contain different functions/functionality.
So if an installed app requires a particular version of .NET, you need to have that version installed. Along those lines, updates for each version of .NET you install only has updates for that particular version.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

No, .NET versions are not inclusive of prior versions like service packs are. They contain different functions/functionality.

Yep I believe that's what I've read

Ahh, that is not entirely true. It is true that if an app requires a specific version you would need to install the version needed, and all can reside side by side, but here is what Microsoft has to say on compatibility.

Backward compatibility means that an app that was developed for a particular version of a platform will run on later versions of that platform. The .NET Framework tries to maximize backward compatibility: Source code written for one version of the .NET Framework should compile on later versions of the .NET Framework, and binaries that run on one version of the .NET Framework should behave identically on later versions of the .NET Framework.
Version compatibility for apps

By default, an app runs on the version of the .NET Framework that it was built for. If that version is not present and the app configuration file does not define supported versions, a .NET Framework initialization error may occur. In this case, the attempt to run the app will fail.

To define the specific versions on which your app runs, add one or more <supportedRuntime> elements to your app's configuration file. Each <supportedRuntime> element lists a supported version of the runtime, with the first specifying the most preferred version and the last specifying the least preferred version. For more information, see How to: Configure an App to Support .NET Framework 4 or 4.5.
Version compatibility for components

An app can control the version of the .NET Framework on which it runs, but a component cannot. Components and class libraries are loaded in the context of a particular app, and therefore automatically run on the version of the .NET Framework that the app runs on.

Because of this restriction, compatibility guarantees are especially important for components. Starting with the .NET Framework 4, you can specify the degree to which a component is expected to remain compatible across multiple versions by applying the System.Runtime.Versioning.ComponentGuaranteesAttribute attribute to that component. Tools can use this attribute to detect potential violations of the compatibility guarantee in future versions of a component.

Link read the link for more information. But if you could edit the configuration file, and add the newer versions in there, it would work. But this isn't always possible.

Interesting rclarke250

rclarke250 said:
By default, an app runs on the version of the .NET Framework that it was built for. If that version is not present and the app configuration file does not define supported versions, a .NET Framework initialization error may occur. In this case, the attempt to run the app will fail.

So can it be said that I can remove all but the latest .Net installs then if necessary (on initialization error) re-install the .Net version needed?

I have a lot pf PCs and a few older ones have limited hard drive space otherwise I don't mind keeping all .Net versions.

I totally agree with rclarke250's post. .NET versions are backward compatible. If an app was built for Windows 95 using .NET 1.0, then it will still run on a Windows 7 box. You will still need to have .NET 1.0 installed though.

You can uninstall all versions of .NET and whatever app or apps you try to run should let you know which version it needs.
But if an app requires .NET 3.5 and you only have .NET version 4.5 installed, the app most will likely not run. Some functions or objects get deprecated from one version to the next, others get added.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

yes. and as you can tell, and if you go to the link, there are ways to get an application able to run with newer versions of .net framework.

Well thanks to all, I may get rid of earlier versions of .Net (on older PCs with limited HD space) and see what happens

You may need an application config file to run the apps. Say your executable is called fred.exe The config file has to be called fred.exe.config : not fred.config, which is the most common mistake that I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back