Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update excel's file to newest excel's version

Status
Not open for further replies.

budich

Programmer
Oct 7, 2000
ID
Hi Guys,

I have one file that have used since several years ago (it may start built by excel's version 97 and have been updated several times until vesion 2000). And this file is have so many formula's and sheets on it. This file was used with so many people since several years ago.
My questions are :
1. How to update the file to the newest excel's version, because lately we feel that the file has some error in the formula and some funny calculations. Is there any tools to check the file from any error and convert to the newest version.
2. Is it possible excel's file corrupt and make some calculation error because it made from old version.

Thank you in advance
Budi

1. Updating this file to the newest version is pretty straightforward. Open Excel 2002, open the file and then use SAVE AS to save it under Excel 2002 format.
2. As for your file/formula corruption, there have been enough changes in Excel since 97 that it's possible some of your original formulas need to be changed to be compatible with the newer version of the software. When you load the file into Excel 2002, and when you save it under the newer file format, Excel will do some of the formula conversions for you. For the remainder, you'll have to examine and correct them manually.

If the problem is a corruption in the file, try saving the file in a different location. I've found that Excel will fix corrupted files sometimes, but only if you save it somewhere else. Hope this helps. Michael
BASD IS/IT Dept

Thanks Michael,

Thank you for your reply
Yes, it is simple to save as to newest version. However, this is not I mean.
I also have tried save in another location, but sometimes the formula still not work properly.
Lets me describe the situation, We have an excel's file for annual budget and we save in another location every year (such as : budget 2000, budget 2001,budget2002 etc). This file may be made in 1996 and every year we save to the current excel version.
This file also is used and updated by several people (our head office and it's branch). After several years we found and we suggest to make a completely new file (but it takes times to make from beginning).
We suspicious that some formula like "sumif" is not work properly and we are worry if there are another formula not work properly.
Is there any tools to check and correct the formula automatically, other than menu "save as". May be like in Microsoft access we have compact and repair database.
Thank you very much
Budi

I don't know of any version compatibility checker within Excel other than the Save As. Typically, I will let it error out and then enter the routine that fails into the Microsoft Knowledge Base for potential solutions. More times than not, someone else has already hit that snag and an alternative is outlined there.
Another alternative is a third-party program. Check on for it. I remember there was at least one company that put out a program that analyzes files for either correction or enhancement. Hope this helps. Michael
BASD IS/IT Dept

Thanks Michael,

Yes, normally when we do "save as" its convert to newest version but somehow it doesn't work properly for some formula (like they make wrong calculation).
Anyway, thank you very much for your help. May be this is input also for the excel's user. I will check the website.
Thank you very much
Budi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back