Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update excel workbook on web

Status
Not open for further replies.

ropey

MIS
Jun 8, 2001
CA
Hello,
I have uploaded an excel workbook and I wish to have an ability to update this from the web. I wish to be able to update from any computer I wish. Any ideas on this guys. I know this is off the beaten path however I am hoping that one of you people will be willing to help a neophyte.
thanks and a hat tip
derek

Thank you for you consideration
my file size is apporx 128K and I do not expect it ever to get larger than 1MB.

I'm assuming the worst case scenario :
Mobility is a high priority.
Your sites are not connected by an internal network.
Your sites are hours apart from each other.
You wish to be the only person who can make changes.
You would like to do this without spending any money.

One option would be to use a Terminal Server connection with MS Office loaded on that server. You could call up the file local to the terminal server, make changes, then update the web site.

If you set up an Email account with someone like Yahoo or Hotmail, the Excel file could be "stored" there. (There are other "pure file storage" sites, but it basically accomplishes the same thing.) Each time you wish to update the file, you would download to the PC, make changes, Email to yourself (to update the master), then update the web site.

And lastly, keep the master file on a floppy disk. Make your changes, then update your web site. This option involves a single transfer across the web connection. The least glamorous option perhaps, but likely the most effective.

Each time you edit the file, you are in effect downloading the file to your local PC, then uploading again to save the changes. With a thin internet connection, the fewer times you upload or download the better.

That's all the ideas I have this morning for free ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back