Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update embeded visio diagram from excel data

Status
Not open for further replies.

dca

Programmer
Mar 7, 2002
US
I have an excel form for collecting application architecture information such as component deployment for application development projects. I would like to embed a Visio uml deployment diagram which may be updated from the information entered in the form.
I attempted to use the flowchart import wizard to create a diagram from an excel data file based on a shape and a link worksheet. I can not see any way of inserting the Visio object into this same worksheet and then have it update itself from the worksheet after it has been updated. Editing the visio object and re-running the import wizard fails because the excel file is open since I am working on an embedded Visio within the same excel file.
Being able to dynamically build diagrams as I collect data about application architectures would be extremely helpful. When the architecture changes on the fly the diagram could update itself. Currently diagrams are created manually and not all architectural changes are caught in the diagrams since they are maintained manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back