Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

update date filter in view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpreston

MIS
Mar 4, 2015
GB
Hi

I have a view that as a required date field. From this we run a SSIS job which exports the data into a CSV file. Works fine.
However what we would like to be able to have is a small front end that allows a user to enter a date, which updates the view date.

We do not want to use Access (if it is possible in access) as we are trying to pull away from Access database use. Could someone advise how we can achieve this.

THanks

How do you want the users to enter the date? For instance, you could write a script to load it to a control table using isql, bcp, DTS, or SSIS. The view would then be updated to SELECT the control date from the control table. You don't want Access, but Access could also be used to allow the user to enter that control date into the control table.

your where clause would become something like: WHERE <EXISTING_CONTROL_DATE in the query> = (SELECT <user supplied date> FROM CONTROL_TABLE)

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

Hi

Firstly I am not up on programming so whatever way is the easiest to develop.

Ideally I would like this.

1. A small application of some sort, maybe a web interface. The user enters the date , saves and this update the SQL View filter date
2. The SSIS package would then run through SQL job agent

Is this possible

Thanks

You want a "small" application. Do you have any programming resources where you work? Do you have the means to contract the work?

While Web apps seem "small", there's the small matter of standing up and administering a Web server, having knowledge of ASP.NET or similar programming skills, a professional IDE, etc.

The simplest solution in today's Windows environment would be a PowerShell console app, consisting of one prompt for the date, and code to update the control date (using John Herman's suggestion), and then start the SQL job (all doable through T-SQL code within the PS solution). That's maybe one page of code.

Learning PowerShell should be a must for anyone who has to administer Windows servers, or provide small-footprint solutions like the one you're after.

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

I have access to Visual Studio 2012 and this as tools in there. I have sourced google and on here for .net or vb script but no luck.

At the end of the day I can enter the date manually into the SQL view and run it all, but was hoping there may be a simpler solution than a lot of programming.
Thanks for the replys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back