Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update database field size

Status
Not open for further replies.

dev1212

Programmer
May 11, 2010
US
Hi,
I have a report with construction details.. it has below fields

Transaction# - Datatype Number(10)
Construction_company - Datatype Varchar2(15)
Amount - Datatype Number(20)

Now the changes are made to the size of these fields in database. The field names are same.

Transaction# - Datatype Number(20)
Construction_company - Datatype Varchar2(25)
Amount - Datatype Number(30)

Do i have to make changes to report so report doesnt fail..? If i dont have to make changes then will the report show whole transaction# of size 20 or will show only 10 digits..? Same applies to other fields as well, do i have to make changes to other fields, if not then how many digits will be displayed..?

what if the verify database is not done?? will the report fail?? if not then what will be displayed??

Are there any reason to not verify it ?
The report keeps information about each field and will get the data using this information. If the field length is 20 chars and you change it to 40 the report will cut the data to 20.

Viewer and Scheduler for Crystal reports, SSRS and Dynamic Dashboards.

The report will probably run, but what will happen may depend on the database. It may be fine or it may truncate those fields, or it may even shift all fields over 10 characters. I have never tested this scenario but I have seen strange results when a table structure changes. Why don't you just test it and tell us what happens.

Also, if you can open the report (even if you can't run it or verify it) you can always go into "File > Report Options" and check "Verify on first refresh". That way the report will verify itself at runtime. This will slow down the report at runtime because it can never SAVE the new structure, but it might help if your field sizes change on you frequently.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Thank you so much for your replies, the report is on client portal so i want to avoid the update to avoid reposting it. I have option 'verify on first refresh' checked by default. Hopefully it will show the updated values on report. I will post here once i get more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back