Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update *.btr database used by BV32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hello guys,
i am using business vision 32 as my accounting system.
bv32 uses btrieve database.
my problem is that i need to change the customer number on the customer file for some customers (just a few) and i tried doing it from access 2k using an update query, but it gives an error saying that the data in that field is not updatable, i know that the problem is that i'm trying to update the primary key because i done changes before to other fields without problem.
is there a way to update btrieve database using acc. 2k even if the field i need to update is the primary key?
if not what software can i use to update the btr file?

thanks in advance,

I've used the function executor (wbexec.exe) to retrieve the record, change the data then perform an insert record. Go back and delete the bad record.

I agree with pschneid. That index is probably unique and not modifyable. So as was mentioned pull your data up change the key and insert then delete the old record. It's a pain but I don't think you should change the original parameters of the software. One thing to keep in mind if you are performing edits from outside the original program is that any other files that link to that file with that key will not be updated unless you do so. So if for instance you have a customer key and then you have an invoice file that links to that key if you change that key then you will break the link to the invoice file.

Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back