Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update... (beware of whining!) 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

straybullet

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
... Completed 2nd interview - no mention of salary yet?

[whining]

arrrgh!! Not sure how to react to this one. The job has been reposted. Guess this is just one more that Im not good enough for. [sadeyes] Tried 10 times to compose an email to the contact person, to let her know I know it's still available and perhaps try to clear up anything they may have had questions about. No idea how to word it... It's killing me trying to figure out what I did or said (or didnt!)

Job hunting blows!

[/whining]

Anyone dealt with this before? How did you deal with it?

Let them hate - so long as they fear... Lucius Accius

If there is ever a rejection, use it, again, to your advantage: Indicate (in person, with either a face-to-face meeting or via a phone call) that you appreciate the opportunity that s/he gave you to interview for the position. Then say, "So that I can benefit the most from our interview, could you please advise me of the areas where my strengths or experience did not seem to meet your needs?"

Next follow up with, "Could you indicate those areas of my experience and preparation that you see are most valuable to the organization?"

Then, as they just finished telling you how great you are, ask them, "What current openings at the company do you believe would benefit most from a person that with the talents and skills you just mentioned?"

At the very least, you will receive a "punch list" of items that you may need to address before your next interview.

In the case that you mention, above (where they are still listing the position as 'Open'), you can contact the interviewer again and acknowledge that you are aware that they are still advertising the position as 'Open', so you are wanting to follow up with a few questions so as to benefit most from your experience with your interview with them...then follow up with the questions I mentioned, above.

Let us know your thoughts.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Good point Mufasa.

This could be a great opportunity to call the firm, thank them for considering you, and let them know that you're still interested in the position. Leave them with the knowledge that you're persistent, friendly, and confident.

I know somebody who landed a position this way.

Good luck with whatever you do!

I think you shouldn't be too hang up on it. When company goes into a hiring process, a lot of things can happen. I don't know what size of company you are interviewing with, but I think small company tends to interview just for fun.

Also even if a job is posted, doesn't mean it's available. My company (very small) has a posting of every position that might become vacant in the future. They can sometimes interview people just to see what the market price is and so they can offer someone on their current staff.

Also for small company a budget can be there this month and gone next month. They are very careful on choosing candidates, my company has been interviewing people for an executive position for over half a year without an actual hire.

I agree with Mufa's point it's always a good idea to ask them what is the reason of the rejection. I think when I interview I would love to have that as a feedback. And the more places interview with the better I will do on the next one. Also it's a good time to review what skills the market is searching for and what you can do meanwhile to improve those skills.

...it's always a good idea to ask them what is the reason of the rejection.

While it may be a good idea to ask (for the same reasons it is a good idea to send a thank-you e-mail after an interview: you show your manners, your interest in the position, and remind the interviewers about yourself - which may help you to get a position), don't always expect to get a truthful answer, especially if the reason is not your technical skills, but personality traits.

Having heard of some of the blunders people made during interviews where I work, I realize that even if they care to ask, they will probably never find out for sure what their problem was - no one in their right mind would tell them the truth. They might get some kind of standard canned answer, though.

And it is true that sometimes a fact that a position is posted doesn't mean it is really available.

Thank you all - well supposedly it was concern over the commuting distance... The location is just about 1 1/2 hours from my home. Not an unreasonable distance... In fact it had been brought up during the very first interview, this being northeastern Pennsylvania and all. I assured them (or so I thought) that:
a)This distance was not extraordinary. Many of my neighbors commute daily to New York City (well over 2 hours).
b)I drive a 4WD truck and am not easily intimidated by harsh weather. At the time, they seemed happy about that...

Oh, apparently there was a "mistake" when the job was resubmitted to careerbuilder and monster [ponder]. This is a multi-national payroll and benefits administration company with $8 billion in revenue. Seems to me they should be a little more careful about what goes out onto the internet from them.

So...bottom line...Are you, or are you not, still in the running for the job?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

I think it's safe to say he is not anymore.

Oh well. Interviews are always stressfull and humiliating. But what doesn't kill ye, does something else.

Don't worry about it, they don't know what they missed.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

My Blog

Thank you all for being so supportive, I really needed it.

On with the hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back