Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Bad With Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamtrying

Technical User
Sep 28, 2004
US
Hello I have the query below in SQL Server 2005

UPDATE InMwhBad INNER JOIN InMwhGood ON InMwhBad.[Item #] = InMwhGood.[Item #] SET InMwhBad.[Bin Location] = [InMwhGood].[Bin Location]
WHERE (("where warehouse"="RA"));

I am trying update the records in the InMwhBad table with the records in the InMwhGood table with the same Item# and warehouse location = RA

When I run the above query I get
Error Source:.Net SqlClient Data Provider
Error Source: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'INNER'

Stumped

Your syntax is just a little off. Try this:

Code:
UPDATE InMwhBad 
SET    InMwhBad.[Bin Location] = [InMwhGood].[Bin Location]
From   InMwhBad 
       INNER JOIN InMwhGood 
         ON InMwhBad.[Item #] = InMwhGood.[Item #] 
WHERE  warehouse='RA'

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Your code looks like MS Access which can not always be used as T-SQL for an update statement.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Yes it is Access code and I get an Invlaid Obect Name "InMwhBad" is SQL server. How can I make this work in SQL Server 2005

Here is the outcome

UPDATE InMwhBad
SET InMwhBad.[Bin Location]=[InMwhGood].[Bin Location]
From InMwhBad
INNER JOIN InMwhGood
ON InMwhBad.[Item #]=InMwhGood.[Item #]
WHERE 'InMwhBad.Warehouse'='RA'

(0 rows) affected

This is a problem:

WHERE 'InMwhBad.Warehouse'='RA'

You see, in SQL Server, to delimit a string, you use single quotes. That where clause would ALWAYS cause the query to not update anything. In fact, it's the same as saying.

Where 1 = 0

You need to remove the single quotes from the left side.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

The query ran but the results were not what I expected. The updates did not come from the RA warehouse from the "InMwhGood" to the "InMwhBad" they came from "CO" warehouse. How can that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back