Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update application via MSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

coily

Technical User
Jan 26, 2005
GB
Hi,

Recenlty I was asked to write an application that would update a suite of applications installed on client PCs. I came into the project late and was left with building the proposed solution.

The solution downloads updates via web service as Cab files then unpacks the files to the correct application folder either creating or updating. There is also the ability to run sql scripts to update the client db.

This works okay but I feel it is over complicating the Updater Aplication. I would like to keep the existing check for update and download update but would like to run a MSI or simular to apply the update giving in my mind greater flexibilty and rubustness.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for applying an update to an application installed by a Msi from a msi?

I need to be able to run some custom actions as I may have database update to deploy also.

Thanks in advance

Oliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back