Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update another column if text in another exists 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpreston

MIS
Mar 4, 2015
GB
Hi

I have a column that lists a product description. I want to populate a new column if a certain word exists in the description.

Si if like 'red' in the description I want the Wood Type column to be Red Wood. If Like White then White Wood. Else Other. I cannot seem to find an example anywhere on line, any ideas please. Thanks

I cannot figure out how to do this in my query. The column the description is in is dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].[Source Description]

SQL:
SELECT        dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].WorksOrderNumber, dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].ProductCode, dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].Description, 
                         dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].ProductID, dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].[Source Product], dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].[Source Description], dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].Thickness, 
                         dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].Width, dbo.WorksOrderSchedule.ScheduleNumber
FROM            dbo.WorksOrderScheduleLine INNER JOIN
                         dbo.WorksOrderSchedule ON dbo.WorksOrderScheduleLine.WorksOrderScheduleID = dbo.WorksOrderSchedule.WorksOrderScheduleID INNER JOIN
                         dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts] ON dbo.WorksOrderScheduleLine.WorksOrderID = dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].WorksOrderID
WHERE        (dbo.WorksOrderSchedule.ScheduleNumber = 27624)
ORDER BY dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].WorksOrderNumber

Can you put in a case statement. Like:

Case PieceOfWood
When like '%white%' then 'White Woood'
When like '%red%' then 'Red Woood'
else 'Other' End as 'NewCoumn'

You may want to have another small table like:

[pre]
NewTable
SHORT FULL
RED Red Wood
WHITE White Wood
[/pre]
And then use it in your Select:
[tt]
Select P.[Source Description], N.FULL
From dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts] P, NewTable N
Where UPPER(P.[Source Description]) [blue]LIKE ('%'[/blue] || N.SHORT || [blue]'%'[/blue])
[/tt]
Assuming your NewTable returns one record, because if your [tt]Source Description[/tt] contains "Some red and white pieces", you will have problems.

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Salty, your version would be:

[pre]
CASE WHEN dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].[Source Description] like '%red%' then 'Red Woood'
WHEN dbo.[148-vwWOFinishedProducts].[Source Description] like '%white%' then 'White Woood'
END AS NEW_COLUMN
[/pre]
but that would mean all cases would have to be included in the SELECT statement :-(

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Hi

Thanks guys all working now. I used the CASE way only because of the ad hoc way people created descriptions. But both good options Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back