Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Up for a challenge? Multi font sizes for 1 block of text on different

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrySnot

Technical User
Nov 29, 2007
I think I have a tough one.

In dreamweaver I have the option to pick more than one font so that I make sure any user that views my page will use one of the fonts. I guess the browsers check to see if the user has the first font in my list and if they don't it checks to see if they have the 2nd in my list and so on.

I can't get this to work my dreamweaver. I am trying to make the same block of text have different sizes depending on if the user has the first text or not.

Like for example

My pc has Text1 and Text2 but not very many people have Text1 but everyone has Text2

At 100% Text1 is this size

Text1Text1Text1Text1Text1Text1Text1

and at 100% Text2 is this size

Text2Text2Text2Text2Text2Text2Text2

So what I am trying to do is set Text1 to 170% so that everyone one who has Text1 on there pc can see it at a large enough size but in doing this it also sets Text2 to 170% which makes it way way to large. It's the same paragraph. The only reason anyone would ever see Text2 is if they don't have text one.

I can only test this in dreamweaver without uninstalling and reinstalling fonts. If you look at my site and the text is normal size and matches my images you are looking at chiller. If you look at my site and the text is HUGE and doesnt match anything then you don't have chiller. I would like to make that really huge text smaller and look better on my page for you :D

Do you guys have any ideas on how this could be done?

Your issue will be addressed in CSS3. However, it will be a while before that is implemented in the browsers.

The only thing you can do in the meantime is to select fonts that are very similar so that these giant differences will not occur.

I may have to do that but it would be nice if I can find a way to do it with the font that matches the style of my site.

I would not use SIFR for anything but specific headings. Even though it reverts nicely for people who have no flash and even though it offers copying text to clipboard, it still is not regular text (for one, you cannot resize it yourself). It works nicely for short titles but not for the entire text on the page, IMHO.

Secondly, you should really re-think using your font. I do see it and although it matches the site, it is not easy to read. And you should aim your users to quickly glide through the text, not to struggle with seeing what is written. Using one of the standard fonts that are more readable would be better, if you ask me.

Another possible approach would be just to use the super-arty font as a title or page header only, and concentrate on making the site a bit more user-friendly in terms of readable fonts everywhere else.

If you decide to keep using images as nav items you need to make some provision for screen readers - at the moment all your alts have the same value!

I note that you still haven't corrected the mis-spellings in your text, nor got the page to validate.

Steam Engine Prints

I am currently trying different things thats why the page isn't valid. I like your idea of only using the fonts on the headings.

Would it do any good if I got rid of the images and replaced them with flash files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back