Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unwanted strip of blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugly

Programmer
Jul 5, 2002
GB
My document is a 48 page (A4 each page) this will form a magazine. Numbering starts at page 1 on the third page. I exported this as a 3mm bleed PDF on top/bottom/inside/outside. Opening the PDF, page 3 is a solid blue bleed, page 2 is a white page but had picked up a blue edge presumably from page three. We exported again but this time excluding inside bleed and the PDF generated fine. My question is should I exclude the inside bleed for all pages. For external printing purposes should we include/exclude the inside bleed?
Link to problem:

...nothing wrong with including inside bleeds or excluding them from the inside, the only issue would be if it were wirobound and the inside bleed wasn't included which i don't imagine it is bound this way, more likely saddle stitched...

...it is better to generally include the crop mark option too on export, which isn't the case at present, and also information slug line to show document name, date etc, useful for further down the road...

Andrew

NO, it's perfectly fine for this to happen.

Basically it's in the trim area, which means it will be trimmed off by the printers. When you send it to the printers they will use software to impose the magazine properly. So make sure that you have your document running from the 1st page to the last page as you would normally read it.

The printers will make sure that the pages don't have any ink showing where it shouldn't.

So leave it as is.

...just to clarify the wirobound scenario again...

...this form of binding requires bleed on all edges, so better to use a single page setup rather than a facing page setup if you ever come across such a project...

...you also need to be aware of artwork positioning in relation to the wiro holes that are made, allowances require the artwork to be offset away from the spine to avoid text or other elements being cut off...

...but i digress slightly now...

Andrew

...couldn't help noticing you have a hyphen at the bottom of folio two, wandering if a full stop might be needed?

...sorry me just being picky...

: )

Andrew

Andrew, for wirobound you can still use facing pages.

You just need to set in the pages panel "Allow Pages to Shuffle" to unticked.

That way you can separate the pages into single pages, but they maintain their left and right page status, but you can now add bleed.

Just makes it easier for folios/running heads etc.

...indeed...

...if needing to this in a very large project a script will ease the process, the manual way might be a bit safer perhaps, although longer to do...

...but to work on it from the outset will likely save you from any possible headaches and head scratching...

...i hear parent child masters were once a problem when splitting facing pages, not sure about these days though...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back