Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unwanted slight boxes around images

Status
Not open for further replies.

zavsays

Technical User
Apr 19, 2001
US
Hi All .... I'm building a site which looks fine on a Mac in any browser, but when I check the site on my PC (Vista) with Explorer, I'm getting slight borders around the images in the left side menu area. It actually displays fine when the page is first loaded, but the trouble begins when I do a "control +" to make things bigger. Then I see slight borders around all the images (including the menu items). I have "border" set to "0" so that's not my problem.

Yes I know the menu could have been built in css instead of using images but I needed the little red do to appear on each current page. I couldn't figure out how to make that occur with css .. And I didn't want the menu's type to grow in size with the body text.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

I looked at your site using Firefox, IE6, and Safari for Windows. And I can't see any border.

The only thing I see is that the backgrounds for your menu items are slightly lighter than the purple they are on. So you can just barely make out a box around the text.

Other than that they look exactly the same. Can you get a screen capture of the problem you refer to?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Lord, I wish I could get a screenshot on Vista (I tried) but if I succeeded, I don't know where the heck it saved to. I actually have a Mac powerbook that runs Vista so I'm not used to Windows really. I just look at my websites with it. I'm glad you don't see the problem (the client hasn't complained either). Thanks for looking. Anyone else see the problem on their computer when they control+ ?

In Windows the screen captures are stored in memory in something called the Clipboard. You would need to use an image program such as paint to save the screen capture to a file.

Basically the Method would be: Alt+Print Screen to get a screen capture, and Cntrl+V to paste into an image program and then save it.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

when in a pinch try using this:

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...
|MostarNetworks|

I don't think browsershots will help him as it will return the default display of the page, not the larger text display.

I think vacunita has explained the only 'box' that I can see.

You could add a class="current" to the link for the current page and style accordingly (put a background with a dot or whatever). You could give them a fixed pixel size to prevent them from getting bigger, or you could just accomodate all of the visually impaired folks out there and let them grow.

If you don't want that table column to grow, restrict the width of your 'Links of Interest' with a fixed pixel size (that's what is pushing your table column wider as it grows).

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

I think Vacunta is on the right track - you have a background color #CFC3DF defined for your menu table. Because you are using giffs as your menu images I would suggest you use that as your background color in your photoshop file (menus) and export them as exact.

I know you are using dreamweaver because of your code - so i think reding your menu images may be your answer.

Thank you all! Great points ... and I'll check into the things you've suggested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back