Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unwanted "margins"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasgow

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2001
GB
I have set up a web site with a shared left border across all pages. I am not using a shared top border but I do use a consistent header at the top of each page which is slightly different for each page. However, I do no seem to be able to avoid having a gap between the right edge of the left shared border and the left edge of my header. I want them to appear snug - i.e. no gap.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

right click on yur page and select "page properties"
select the margins tab and tick "specify left margin" and set it to 0. Anywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Thanks but that does not resolve my problem. Changing the margin moves everything including the left border - it does not appear to affect the gap between the border and my header.

Any other suggestions?

Are you sure it's a gap between the borders, and not a gap between the tables of the border and the tables of the headings? You can also set the tables to restrict how close they will come to other things. Be sure to check the table settings for text and separation.

No, I'm not sure - you could well have hit the nail on the head but how do I change the text & separation? I can't see anything relevant under table properties. Sorry, but I'm a bit of a novice!

Go to your HTML view and see if your selection has DIV tags wrapped around them, if so, remove them.

Thanks, but removing DIV tags from page and/or border seems to have no effect.

For the table in question, look as cell padding and cell spacing. They determine how much space is between the cells, and if there's only one cell in the table, they determine the same for the entire table.
If you wish, send me the web address, and I will be glad to take a look at it.

Dick

Thanks Dick but I'm afraid I'd already checked this out - cell padding & spacing is set to zero for both tables.

Thanks for offer to have a look but I'm not in a position to publish the page yet.

This came from my help set in MS Front Page..:-D

Set spacing between frames

When a frames page is viewed in a browser, you can specify the amount of spacing between the outside edges of adjoining frames.

In Page view, open the frames page you want to modify, and then click the Normal tab.
On the File menu, click Properties, and then click the Frames tab.
Type the amount of spacing, in pixels, in the Frame spacing box. The default for most Web browsers is 2 pixels.
Tips

If the Show borders check box is selected, the borders between frames will be as wide as the amount of spacing between frames.
To create invisible frames, clear the Show borders check box and set Frames spacing to 0.

Dick

Thanks for the effort Dick but I am not using frames and so have no frames tab for the page.

How about you post the code or give a URL so we can see. DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back