Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unwanted dial-up dialog box

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKuiper

Programmer
Jan 29, 2002
NL
Hi,

I am writing an application which is using winsock communication between different computers on a local network running tcp/ip. One of the machines involved has the dial-up adapter installed. On this machine, if the application is started, the dial-up dialog box appears. The application is trying to reach a computer in the LAN, so the dial-up is not needed and once the dialog is CANCELled, the application works fine.
Does anybody know : Is there a way to prevent this dialog appearing other than configuring Internet Explorer never to make a connection?

Marcel

IE is the cause so that may be you're only option. You could set IE to only dial when a net is not present, which would allow your app to work ok.

I did try that, but the Connections dialog hangs if I choose "Dial whenever a network connection is not present". It only accepts "Never dial a connection" or "Always dial my default connection".

If you're using windows 98, configure 2 hardware profiles-
1 with the dialup adapter installed, 1 without.

Also, why not just tell it to never dial a connection, then make a shortcut to a dialup networking entry on the desktop. If you really need to dial, use the shortcut.

Hope this helps!

edubiel, thanks. Placing a dial-up icon on the desktop and configuring Explorer never to make a connection seems to be the best solution for the moment.

Marcel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back