Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unusual keyboard activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

itbmeeeee

MIS
Sep 16, 2007
US
I have a user (Dell D620 / XP-Pro) that is getting some unusual keyboard activity, a good example would be if I pressed the spacebar it would lock the system then asking for your password. You go to type an email and every so many words something else happens. The sticky keys function is not enabled. Any ideas would be great.
Thanks in advance

Check for viruses and spyware.
If no luck, then try the KB on another machine. If the same problem happens, then the KB may be bad.

Download avg anti spyware from the link below

(set it to delete everything it finds and run a full system scan)

Download ccleaner from the link below

(uncheck nero from program list on it if you have nero)

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Old answers are sometimes right too, try having the user use anti-static grounding strap on wrist or mat for the keyboard.

The sticky keys function is not enabled

... but that doesn't mean you don't have a sticky key. Literally sticky, like something stuck in it.

Check the operation of all your keys. I've seen stuck control keys and alt keys that caused users lots of headaches.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

You might also try a different keyboard on the pc. IF you've run anti-virus software, done a good cleanup, etc and the behavior still exists, I would start to suspect the keyboard controller on the mb might be going bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back