Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Untampered web logs ? Possible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hercules23

Technical User
Jun 6, 2003
US

I need to have access to the web logs from an apache web server for monthly analysis.

Is there anyway to verify or ensure that the logs have not been tampered with ?

Am not experienced with apache servers, but i am assuming that at least the servers administrator will have full access to these logs.

Hope this question makes sense. Any ideas ?

The logs are just a text file like any other - so if you have permissions to write, or know the owner's password, then you can alter the file like any other. You could make the logs only writable by the apache user, but then I guess the admin guy would know those passwords aswell, or would at least know root, so they could su to apache ...

Thanks.......i suspected as much.

Does anyone know of a way to get these logs from this server in a real-time protected manner ?

Thanks again........i am looking at that option.

Additionally ,is it possible for apache (running on linux) web logs to be simultaneously logged to another computer?

If so can anyone direct me to some information resource where i can get some help on this ?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back