Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unsubscribing leads to flood of e-mails RE: Unsubscribe

Status
Not open for further replies.

proudusa

MIS
Sep 19, 2001
US
A friend of mine has a yahoo account and received an e-mail advertisement from a club in the city. She scrolled down and clicked on the unsubscribe option.

She is now getting a bulk of e-mails from random people who are asking what the unsubscribe e-mail she sent was about. she is not listed in the To: Field. Only the clubs are listed there but she gets the e-mails.

When you read those e-mails they are asking what this is about and some responding to each other asking if they know what it is, etc.

Never seen this before. Are the advertisers simply continuing to e-mail everyone listed in their target list whenever one sends back an e-mail?

looking for understanding of what might be going on.

Thanks

Just because the mail program may display "List Members" or something in the TO: field doesn't mean that's how the real e-mail is formatted. You need to look at the headers to see what's happening.

There may even be an unsubscribe address if it's a valid list. If not then congratulations, she's signed up for a bunch of spam!

I would suggest that your friend stops clicking on unsubscribe links and gets herself a copy of Mailwasher Pro instead. It bounces the mail you dont want right back at the sender so they think the address is invalid. I have reduced my spam to practically zero in the last 3 months.

Check it out here theres also a free version

I echo the other replys here.
All she is probably doing is confirming her address is vaild. And in fact she may be removed from that list (meets the legal requirement there) but she just gets moved to umpteen dozen other lists.....

All major ISP's will tell you - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use the unsubscribe link on unsolicited email. As Kiwica says, you may get removed from one list but you get added to a zillion others.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

I am basically getting the same thing. I receive about 5 emails from the same company every day. Although the domains are different each time (I can't block them now with Hotmail.) I know by the format that they are from the same company. Isn't there any way to track this?

Thanks

Mark
Email: markanas333@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back