Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unstable Wifi 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vacunita

Programmer
Aug 2, 2001
MX
Can't tell if its the Router or the computer, though most other devices like, Android phones, iPhones and iPads, and other computers connected to it work generally fine.

Before details about what is wrong, some details about the computer:

DEll Inspiron 15, 5000 Series, Windows 10 fully updated.
Intel Dual Band Wireless Adapter(AC)
About 15 feet from router, clean line of sight.

Router is an older A/B/G/N Fiber Optic Alcatel Lucent I-240W-Q set to N mode only.

When connected via ethernet, getting around 35 to 40 Mbps and no issues. When connected over Wifi, I get unstable 8 to at most 20Mbps

Wireless connection on the computer keeps disconnecting from the wifi. Getting lots of err_network_changed errors in Chrome, etc...
Pinging google.com results in varying results. Sometimes all 4 packets are successfully sent, other times it fails at one or 2. Or 3. etc...

I'm starting to think the router's Wireless hardware is possibly dying, but other devices seem to operate normally on it.

I've rebooted the router many times, and it may help a little, but eventually its back to being super unstable.

The other possibility is the wireless card on the Dell is dying. However, to test this, I've connected the laptop to a different wireless network, (generated by a Mac Mini), but connected to the same router via ethernet, and so far it seems like its working fine.

I was able to post this, without any errors, so it supports the theory of the wireless failing on the router, as opposed to the wireless failing on the computer.

How can I conclusively tell if the Wireless is actually failing on the router? The Router's control panel, is a bit limited.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

If other devices connect to the router without any problems, I would suspect the computer. Have you rebooted the PC or turned off and on the WiFi on it?

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

I doubt the Dell built-in diagnostics would help but you could run that. The only real way to test is to substitute either a different wifi card in the laptop or a different access point.

If your router is that old, I would conclude that IT is the most likely culprit and that it is just time to replace it.

One possibility to try - the older Wireless N standards were not that standard before the format was finalized. Try putting the router in Auto mode instead of N only.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

2ffat said:
If other devices connect to the router without any problems, I would suspect the computer. Have you rebooted the PC or turned off and on the WiFi on it?

Yup, many times. It will work for a while, and then start disconnecting, and giving me the err_network_changed errors in Chrome.

goombawaho said:
I doubt the Dell built-in diagnostics would help but you could run that. The only real way to test is to substitute either a different wifi card in the laptop or a different access point.

I did try a different access point. As I said, I created a Wifi network from a Mac Mini, and connected the Dell to it, and it works just fine. No drops, no Chrome errors, speeds of 20 to 25mpbs.

Dell diagnostics bring back nothing by the way. Everything is fine as far as they are concerned.

goombawaho said:
One possibility to try - the older Wireless N standards were not that standard before the format was finalized. Try putting the router in Auto mode instead of N only.

It was on Auto before, and the drops and errors were even more frequent and the Dell would stay connected even less. Setting it to N only seems to have reduced the connection drops a bit, but has not eliminated them completely.

The Windows wireless strength meter, just goes up and down from 3 bars to 2 and back to 3.

And Wifi signal power on the router is at 100%.

Yes, changing the router would be a top priority. Sadly its the fiber optic modem/router combo provided by the ISP, and I need to be able to prove it is having issues so they'll change it. Otherwise they just give me the runaround of rebooting it and trying again as they have been doing so far.

The other option, I have entertained, is to turn off the Wireless on the router/modem, and use a new better one.
something like this:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Phil AKA Vacunita
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

A development. Got a USB Wireless adapter. Realtek RTL8188SU and installed it and disabled the onboard Intel adapter.

Don't want to claim success just yet, but it seems to be working without the dropouts so far.

It seems the Intel AC is prone to issues like this from what I have found with my Google Fu. Though I have to wonder why it works with other Wifi networks, and not this particular one. Many reports of issues with this adapter, and driver updates on Intel's website and Microsoft's website as well.

I'll keep monitoring it just to be sure.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

Is it a 3160 adapter? I've seen those to be quite poor.

goombawaho said:
Is it a 3160 adapter? I've seen those to be quite poor.

Yup, that's the one.

It was working fine, and suddenly this, pretty much out of nowhere.

The Realtek seems to be doing fine so far. Maybe I'll just keep that one in, and forget about the built in one.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

I had to replace a 3160 in a Dell for very strange wifi behavior issues!!! It was an Inspiron 15 3558
It's good to have the USB one because it can be used to test problem on any PC or laptop but a built-in card would be better. Of course you would have to spend more money.

That's a good idea. I'll have to look for a good replacement.

As far as I can tell, the replacement is simple, having to just remove the keyboard. I may give it a go, if I have the time.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

More developments. Took the laptop to a different location, connected to Wifi there using the internal 3160 Wifi card and it worked fine.

Don't know how far away I was from the router there however.

Came back, and again the dropouts and random disconnects and all the other issues. So it seems there's some issue between the Lucent Router and the wifi card that is not present with other devices, and not present when connecting to other routers.

At this point, I am entirely stumped. Not sure what could cause these issues then between 1 computer and 1 router, but with nothing else connected to the same router, and no issue with the computer connected to other routers.

For now, I'll keep using the external USB Wifi card.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

When was the last time you updated the firmware on either the router or PC? Could it be an incorrect implementation of the WiFi specs?

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Does laptop firmware (BIOS) actually update the wifi card? I don't believe so. But firmware on your router should always be updated. It may be too old to have any updates AND it was provided by the ISP which means they normally manage all firmware updates.

With wifi there are these strange interoperability problems that are seen very rarely and that just don't make sense. In those cases, one side of the equation or the other has to be replaced (router/access point or wifi card in client). These situations have caused me some head banging, but the smart thing to do is to move on. Not all problems can be solved without a hardware change.

Any other wireless devices in the immediate vicinity? Have had interference issues with several different devices over the course of troubleshooting wi-fi issues for customers.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

But other wifi clients aren't being bothered, just the Dell.

2ffat said:
When was the last time you updated the firmware on either the router or PC? Could it be an incorrect implementation of the WiFi specs?

I've looked for firmware updates for the router, but have not found any for it. Don't know when or if the ISP has actually updated the firmware. Current software version is 3FE53862AOCK42

I've updated and downgraded the wifi cards drivers so many times I've lost count. Current Intel drivers: 18.33.11.2 from October 2017.

goombawaho said:
These situations have caused me some head banging, but the smart thing to do is to move on. Not all problems can be solved without a hardware change.

Indeed. I'm close to giving up, and considering a different Wifi router. If I cannot get the ISP to upgrade the modem. I'll just turn off the Wifi portion, and use a different more reliable router for Wifi like this: TP-Link-Wireless-Tri Band Archer-C 3200

edfair said:
Any other wireless devices in the immediate vicinity?

Yes, but I have 3 iPhones, 3 iPads, Android Phones, a Mac Mini, a Blu Ray player, an Apple TV, a Smart TV that work fine on the same wifi router/modem. And it works on the same laptop with a different wifi card.

And why is this interference just now causing issues when it did not before?

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

Is there a reason why you have to stick with the ISP supplied modem? I have spectrum for my internet and the first thing I did when I got the service was to get my own top of the line modem and told them that I didn't want theirs. As long as you give your MAC address to the ISP they really don't care whose modem you use. If my modem fails I have to pay for repairs and/or replacement but at a lousy $50.00 why sweat it and if your ISP is charging rental on the modem you save that recurring charge also.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Some ISPs may not allow you to substitute your own equipment, though Comcast does and I have done so.

The OP can keep their router (with wifi turned off) and use an access point connected to the router. No need to buy an actual router per se.

Have not seen any comercial Optic Fiber Modems I could replace it with. Any suggestions?

i.e the Modem receives a Optic Fiber cable, not a ethernet or telephone cable.

And then, there's the issue of the ISP's connection settings, which I don't have and they may not want to give me.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

Just get a wireless router and plug it into your fiber modem and use the network thats running on your new wireless router. Thats what I did on my connection. While I replaced the cable modem with my own that is good for up to 650 meg, I purchased a separate wireless router and plugged it into my new cable modem. I made sure that the new router had gigabit ports and not the standard 10meg ports on the older ones and it is dual channel with 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz with beam forming. No matter what I connect to it, it just works and I can connect anywhere in my home. All most all reviews say you get better performance with 2 devices (cable/fiber interface and separate wireless router) then if you have an all in one piece of equipment.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Beilstwh said:
Just get a wireless router and plug it into your fiber modem and use the network that's running on your new wireless router.

Yeah that was the idea. Just turn off the wifi from the modem, and get a new access point. Which why I was looking at the TP-Link mentioned above.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back