Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unresponsive Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

canonguy

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
ok, i have a hard drive which i need data from. It all started when i took it out of its computer tower which was running windows xp on it. It worked fine. I connected it into a different computer and it did not respond at all. I put it back into its original system and now it didn't work anymore (the system it was working in before)

I don't care about the drive i just want the data. I have tried connecting it as slave in another system but the bios recognizes it but nothing will happen with it nothing else will recognize it so i cannot do anything with it. not even recovery mode.

I have connected it via IDE-USB cable and windows had recognized the drive but it fails to appear in my computer.

Can anyone tell me how i could retrieve the data fro mthe drive?

ok, i have a hard drive which i need data from. It all started when i took it out of its computer tower which was running windows xp on it. It worked fine. I connected it into a different computer and it did not respond at all. I put it back into its original system and now it didn't work anymore (the system it was working in before)

Did you try to boot from it in the new computer? XP doesn't take kindly to hardware change, and as such its never a good idea to attempt to boot XP that was installed on one computer in a different one.

I don't care about the drive i just want the data. I have tried connecting it as slave in another system but the bios recognizes it but nothing will happen with it nothing else will recognize it so i cannot do anything with it. not even recovery mode

Did you try the Drive Management Console in Windows it might have not gotten a drive letter assigned to it.

With the drive plugged in as a slave and the bios recognizing it. Boot Windows and Right click on My Computer and click on Manage.

Scroll down to Drive Management and see if the drive appears there.

If it does can you try to assign it a drive letter.

If you can assign a letter, you may be able to access the drive then.

If not you may need a Data recovery app. Such as Runtime.org's GetDataBack

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Please elaborate: was this the boot drive in the original tower? Did you try to use it in "the different computer" as boot drive?

Tony

Users helping Users...

yes i tried to use it as a boot drive. thats when everyhting screwed up.

can't add more than what my colleagues have said, except that it is possible that the MBR got scrambled and thus it is not shown in explorer...

you would need to fix the MBR by booting into the recovery console and issuing the following command:

FIXMBR

ignore the install in the following, but have a read:

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back