Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unrecognized database format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aspen77

Technical User
Sep 20, 2012
US
My database was originally created in Access 2007 and for the past year we have been using Access 2010. I recently moved the database to a Windows 8 Operating system. The DB opened fine and the users were able to add data, however, after a couple of weeks later is when we received the error message "unrecognized database format" when trying to open the database.

I have tried a compact and repair, import, tried to open in Access 2007 and other free trial download recovery database software with no success. I found that my backup software that I had been using does not work on Windows 8. So I have no current backup of the DB. I do have a backup before I moved it to Windows 8. It would be several weeks of data loss. Do you have any suggestions on how I can open this database or just extract the data. Please help!

Have you tried importing things from that file to a new database file? Sometimes this works... Sometimes it works for some but not all tables and sometimes not at all. Beyond that, you need to make a realistic determination of what the cost for people to regenerate the data is. That will give you some idea of the cost you might be willing to pay to have someone try to recover it but remember you should know up front whether you or paying for an attempt which may fail or only for data that is recovered.

It probably goes without saying now, but verify your backups periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back