Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unrecognized database format

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdawley4

Technical User
Aug 6, 2004
US
Hi,

I was moving files from my floppy disk to my pen drive and accidentally deleted a file that wasn't on the drive. I thought I moved it over but must have skipped it. Anyways, to make a long story short, I deleted it. I tried to recover it last night and was successful, except when I go into Access to open the file, it gives me an unrecognized database format. Are there some other files that are associated with this file that got stripped away on the floppy? I still have the floppy but haven't wrote anything to it. It is still blank and hasn't been formatted yet. I don't plan on formatting the disk until I get the file back. I tried to go into access and repair the database but get the same error message. If I try to convert the database, I get the same error message. Any ideas on what I can do to get this database back?

Thanks,

Chris

Here I start hate Access database. It is corrupted. I don't think you can repair it. It could be if it was not gone to the wastebin and restored. You won't get even word files correct if you are restoring from the bin. Access file is a different story.
Have a search is these forums using "Database corrupted"

Zameer Abdulla
Visit Me (New Look & style)

This is not necessarily an Access problem.

When writing to a USB thum or pen drive, it is really important to safely remove the drive through the OS.

This is because Access 2000 and XP cache the write when copying the file, and may not necessarily complete the write until it is forced. We are so used to the OS copying files quickly and completely when moving files. However, to improve performance the OS will cache the write. With fixed drives, this is not a problem, but with removable drives it is a big problem.

How to safely remove the USB device? You will see the USB device in the System Tray (bottom right of the screen on most computers). The USB system tray icon will appear and disappear when the USB device is inserted (and recognized) and removed. Right click on icon and select "Safely remove hardware" and follow the wizard.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back