Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unrecognized Database Error With successful Write?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2002
US
I have an Access 97 Front End/Backend set up. When the Front end is started NT User ID is logged into a logon table in the backend via the Main Switchboard's ON LOAD EVENT.. The table is Autonumber. When the record is saved the autonumber value is stored in a public variable.
The switchboard remains open throughout. When the user exits (can only exit using Exit button - "X" in upper right hand corner disabled) in the UNLOAD EVENT a SQL statement locates the original logon entry ID number (stored in the public variable) and edits the log off field by entering NOW(). If the records set returns empty for some reason the SQL statement is tried several times to see if a subsquent attempt will be successful. After 4 unsucessful attempts to retrieve the correct record, a new record is added to the logon table. This record contains the user name, time, Err.Number, and the original logon id number that was included in the SQL statement.
The front end continues then "QUITs"

There problem I am experiencing, periodically, is that the error record will be written
to the logon on database with the error 3343 indicating Unrecognized Database Format. Subsequent attempts to open the front end indicate that REPAIR needs to be performed.
I am totally lost. I am assuming that the error message is referring to the front end database since the backend is able to complete the write successfully and only the front end subsequently needs to be repaired. However, during the UNLOAD event, no data is being written in the front end and I can't understand why it may be getting corrupted.
Also, users already in the application appear to be unaffected. They can continue to use the application. The need to REPAIR only occurs when a new user attempts to open the frontend.
Any thoughts? I need help badly. This application is requiring a REPAIR a couple of times a day. There are less than 20 users in total, and they are never all on at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back