Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unreadable Media Please HELP!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsz11

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2001
US
Arcserve 2000
Win2k
After a week of error messages saying that my tapes were bad(which has happened before, and they are not bad) I installed Service Pack 3, That night the backup worked. Next night "Unreadable Media" Arcserve is not talking to my Tape Drive(DLT 120T powervault Dell) I changed the scsi driver, no help. Every few weeks I run into problems with this backup. I'm about to throw my server into the ocean at this point. Anyways, any help would be great.

Thanks,

disable the tape device and changer in device manager. Then reboot. (in other words make sure no NT drivers are loaded for the device). Make sure you device is in the certified device list, and apply any patches the CDL recommends.

also try a long erase on the tapes and check for any hardware errors in the arcserve activity log. The drive may be playing up. Also when was the last time you cleaned it?

g

We have upgraded from AS 6.6 to AS 2000. I have noticed the same thing with some of our tapes too. The show up in the drive as <Unreadable Media>.

Erasing the tape does no good. But it you format it first then erase it to make it blank again, the problem goes away.

Give it a try, it may work for you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back