Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unplugged user

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcdaniel

IS-IT--Management
Oct 13, 2006
US
I have a couple of users who recently could not login to the network normally. They were getting errors saying that their roaming profile (in a shared folder on the server) could not be accessed. So instead they get logged in with a local temporary account. However when I unplug the computer from the network their normal profile loads from a local cache. Then I plug the cable back in so they have network access. When I have them log off they cannot log back in correctly.

Thanks

Check the Event Logs. It should give a little more detail as to why their romaing profile could not be accessed. Sometimes it is a rights issue, a space issue, etc.

I just noticed when one of the users is logging on (while plugged into the network) and he gets his error. It says "Windows cannot copy file \\profileserver\profile\user\...\some strange.exe
so it is looking for an executable within his profile. Is this an indication of a corrupted profile?

I'm thinking the other users are showing this as well.

Not sure what that exe file is. Does the log give any further info, like can't find the file, access denied, file in use?

In any case, I would rename his profile then let him log on and have a new one created. See if it loads or if you continue to get the errors.

I found that there were some strange .exe files within the user's shared profiles on the profile server. I'm afraid it's the spyware/adware that was on there recently (Brave Sentry!! stay away!! stay away!!) that may have created these strange .exe files within the user's profile and then windows cannot copy those files down to the local profile because they didnt exist before.

I would rename or move the old profiles and let them create new clean ones.

I guess I didnt finish, sorry, I deleted those .exes and they were able to login just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back