Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unplug phone line to avoid damage to my modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlantisburn

Technical User
Jan 4, 2004
US
Now and then my computer pops up with an error message "excessive line current unplug phone line to avoid damage to my modem". What is the problem? I changed internal modem. I have no phone lines hooked to my computer. I run off cable. Is this refering to my external cable modem?

Sounds like power is leaking into your phone line somewhere. Might be time to have them checked to avoid possible human injury/death. If a high voltage line is leaking into the line it could cause serious issues.

atlantisburn,
I have seen this in the past when one goes from win98 to win2000. If this is your case then find the website for your modem mfg and download the win2000 driver for it.

I do have a phone line hooked to a w98 computer that is on a LAN with a w2000 computer, But the error message is on the w2000 computer, the one not connect to a phone line. Is message refering to w98 CPU?

I would follow maingeeks suggest and update the driver. As he said visit there site. If you cant find it on there go to driverguide.com . Membership is required there but free.

Find the make and model for the modem in the 2000 pc and then find a W2K device driver for it and install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back