Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unorthodox Recovery Method... Pls comment 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushi600

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
Evolution from my other thread...

Basically I have Exchange tape backups that I need to be restored. Tapes will not restore unless E2K is installed. BUT E2K will not install unless GC can be reached. Found System State backup of old DC, BUT cannot restore onto different hardware (went through MSFT articles on restoring to different hardware) because it gets stuck on "Preparing Network Connections."
So..... came up with this A-Team plan... pls comment (i.e. will it work? is there an easier way?).

Location A: Active Directory DC Server Computer (AD integrated DNS Component installed) + 1 Exchange Server Computer

Location B: Blank (very heavy, so cannot bring server and directly connect to AD) server for Exchange recovery (In addition, no internet access)

Available for use: 1 laptop.

Plan:

1) Install W2K Server on laptop.

2) Join laptop to Location A's network, promote to DC (assumption is that is will not assume any FSMO roles as it is not first DC installed).

3) Pull laptop from network.

4) Bring laptop to location B. Boot up and perform "recovery", assuming FSMO roles. (will that work?)

5) Join blank server to DC (laptop)

6) Setup recovery exchange on blank server now joined to domain.

7) Restore tape backups onto E2K.

8) Exmerge data out of information store.

And assuming it does work, what would I have to do with DNS in step 2 to ensure that the laptop would be able to serve as a standalone, working, AD DC when it is moved to the new location?

Don't have too firm of a grasp on this topic, so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

You'd have to remove the Exchange server from AD on the laptop before installing new.

The easiest thing to do is get hold of a copy of Aelita Recovery Manager from which can restore directly from backup tapes.

<signature sold subject to contract>

Thanks for the links. Ended up buying the SW (time was too tight to do the "experiment")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back