Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unmountable Media 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

majikal1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
US
I am chasing an error that I can find no documentation to support, so I would apperciate anyones help!

I had the following log entries recently;
-MountTape D00734 on drive 1, from slot 65
-Adding media ID D00734 to unmountable media list
-TLD(0) drive 1 (device 0) is being DOWNED, status: Robotic mount failure
-Check integrity of the drive, drive path, and media
-TLD(0) MountTape D00734 on drive 10, from slot 65
-Removing media ID D00734 from unmountable media list
-Request for EVSN D00734 is being rejected because it is in a down drive

Does anyone have an idea what might be the cause, or how I might proceeed? Should I run the Robotic Test Utility?

Mike

There is a good chance that the tape is bad. Are you receiving the same errors for tapes other than D00734?

You could also run robtest and rezero the drive and the init it ... Sometimes this helps to clear up errors in reading tapes.

While I have not actually seen this error before, we are experiencing different intermit. problems. This tape has since been used, and worked fine. Not only that, but if the tape were bad, why was it immediately removed from the list?

Sorry to seem so lost, but my small group has been tasked with troubleshooting Veritas, with little or no training and, quite frankly, lousy support from Veritas itself.

Another problem (connected perhaps?) we have from time to time is that the tld daemon responds that it is "unable to SCSI unload drive". Would this seem to indicate that we have a bad SCSI port?

Any help or ideas that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Can you give me some information:
What is the OS for the media server?
What is the OS on the master server?
What tape drive is it i.e. Standalone, robotics etc?
What technology i.e. DLT, LTO etc?
What SCSI card are you connected to i.e. Adaptec 2944UWD etc?
Did you rezero the unit using robtest? What were the results?
Have you checked the terminator - Quite often problems with SCSI is due to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back