Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unmountable Boot Volume Windows XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

philmorr

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
My son has windows xp, he was loading a game, and the computer froze, now when he restarted he got the blue screen of death - unmountable boot volume, I fixed this once before, I downloaded the boot cd ( 6 ) floppys, but then it asks for the windows xp cd, last time I had a coworker with xp home e dition, But he no longer works here. Any suggestions? PLEASE HELP - My son is physically disabled & cannot write and this is the only way he has to complete his school work!!!!

Howdy:

Unless you have a legal version of XP to install, you are out of luck as you need the cd..

Your options will be to go back to whatever legal operating system you have handy and install that or buy a legal copy of XP !!

Murray

This probably won't help but you could download the boot disks and access the recovery console. From there you can try running a chkdsk. However if the error you are getting is unmountable boot volume then you probably will not be able to access the correct drive to run the chkdsk.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back