Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unmountable boot drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeBattery

Technical User
Aug 30, 2003
GB
I have recently installed windows xp pro onto a pc purchased in 2001. Xp ran fine and was set up to dual boot with windows millenium which had come with the system along with a number of pre installed software which is still needed. Everything was running fine until I installed a second hard drive. The drive is 2 years old and was in my pc until I upgraded last month so I know it is working fine.

Upon starting the pc I find I can use windows millenium perfectly and it can see the second hard drive and use it with no problems however windows xp will no longer start. When I choose windows xp pro from the boot selector menu everything goes fine, the windows xp splash screen comes up but then I get a blue screen and am told the following:

Unmountable_boot_volume

0x000000ED(0X80AA6030,0XC0000185,0X00000000,0X00000000)

About 1 in every 10 attempts xp starts up fine and there are no problems but then if I restart i get this message again. If I start up in safe mode I do not get the message at all and it goes into safe mode with no problems.

I done a search on Google, found a few error message close to this one but none that matched it, I have run the recovery console but it still happens, I even reinstalled xp but it still happens. Does anyone have any ideas I could try?

Have a read of these.

297185 - "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP

315403 - Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled Is Mounted

Unmountable_Boot_Volume in WIN XP Pro
thread779-436409

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back