Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unlocked BlackBerry Any Sim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techma1

Technical User
Aug 8, 2007
I have heard that if you have an unlocked BlackBerry phone and a sim card that you can put in your sim card and away you go. I tried with my boss's sim and it didn't work. Is there something I must configure first?

BLackberry's like all Mobile's are usualy locked to the service provider the phone was purchased from ie Vodafone, cingular, T-mobile unless the BB was purchase as unlocked. You can get BB's unlocked for a small fee either ebay or other Websites offer the service. the Sim itself isnt locked to a specific BB only to phones from the sim provider unless of course the phone is unlocked.

Richard Baker

Thank you and the phone is unlocked....I did it myself. But the sim card doesn't work. I expected it to have service and identity but there wasn't any. That's why I'm wondering if I must configure something else. Any suggestions?
thanks again

I unlocked my 8700g, and my gsm chip from another provider worked fine immediately, but as a cellphone only.

You have to get a data package from the phone co for anything else - email, websurfing etc. that won't happen on a standard cellphone account.

The same chip also worked immediately when I bought a new 8310 curve to replace the 8700.

Is it possible the SIM you're using isn't on a standard GSM service?

tecma1 - how did you unlock the phone yourself?

If it is, it should work with any sim as a phone ... obviously the sim needs Blackberry service for other BB functions

In Australia, I think only Vodafone lock BBs.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Tech is in the US and will need a SIM that can connect to the BIS to get the mail. A SIM will only allow phone calls.

the Sim needs to be on the Blackberry Tariff with the user service provider.

Richard Baker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back