Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unloadMovie() not the same as removeMovieClip()

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedtrain

Instructor
Jun 23, 2004
US
In AS 2...(yes I am behind the times)...if you are reading the Help for attachMovie the way I did it may be confusing.

At the bottom of the window is the 'See also' section. They have both unload and remove listed down there. I just spent two days learning that they are not interchangible. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

unloadMovie() actually removed my movie from the player....so when I needed to loop back around and start adding that movieclip again it was unavailable.

removeMovieClip() only removed the clips I had attached to the stage.

Background....I was building a sample movie to test the ability to randomly place a set number of movieclips on the main stage. Once six copies of the movieclip had been attached to the stage a 'clear' button would show up to reset to a blank stage. When I was using the unload function the clear button only worked the first time through. After that, the code 'appeared' to work but it left all the clips on the stage. When I switched to remove it worked every time I cycled through.

(Now why that is I am not really sure...maybe some of the guru's can jump in and explain. But this is my experience.)

Dave

"Credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena - T.Roosevelt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back