Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unlinked Tables 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlove161

Technical User
Feb 5, 2004
US
I am building a form which will be used to enter simple item descriptions. I have a question about two of the fields. When the [ItemNumber] field is entered on the form I want to automatically fill in the [ItemDescription] field on the form. The item descriptions are contained in an unrelated table.

For example, item number 20xxx is a "40' Box Car Single Door". 20xxx is in the [ItemSeries] field in the unrelated table. Item numbers in this series could range from 20001 to 20999, but they would all be 40' Box Car Single Door".

What do I need to put in the [ItemDescription] field on the form in order to accomplish this? I am stumped.

This would go in the Control Source.

=[ItemDescription].Column(1)

hsotb-

What does the .Column(1) part mean? Thanks

Hi,

I've made a couple of assumptions, your numbers will start from 1001 and you won't store this part of the description in the items table (as its already normalised).

The relationship between the 2 tables as I see it is: the integer of (item number divided by 1000) is equal to the integer of (item series divided by 1000), i.e. Int([ITEM_NUMBER]/1000 = Int([ITEM_SERIES]/1000).

So you can now create a look up query along the lines of...
Code:
SELECT ITEMS.ITEM_NUMBER, ITEM_DESC.DESCRIPTION
FROM ITEM_DESC, ITEMS
WHERE Int([ITEMS]![ITEM_NUMBER]/1000))=Int([ITEM_DESC]![ITEM_SERIES]/1000)
GROUP BY ITEMS.ITEM_NUMBER, ITEM_DESC.DESCRIPTION;

In your form you can set the control source to look up DESCRIPTION from this query using a dlookup, i.e. in control source
Code:
=DLookup("DESCRIPTION","LU_ITEM_DESC","[ITEM_NUMBER] = " & txtItemNumber)
alternatively you could go straight in with the dlookup to your item description table, in which case the dlookup would look something like...
Code:
]=DLookup("DESCRIPTION","ITEM_DESC","[ITEM_SERIES] = " & Int(CLng(txtItemNumber)/1000))
but the look up query will allways come in handy for reports, other forms, etc...

HTH, Jamie
FAQ219-2884
[deejay]

Oh, I guess I did make a further assumption - that you had normalised you item description table so that there was only 1 record for every 1000 items (i.e. item series 20000 is 40' Box Car Single Door, item series 20000 to 20999 do not exist - next item series is 30000)

HTH, Jamie
FAQ219-2884
[deejay]

Jamie-

That is correct about the item description table. It is normalized. Thank you for the help.

Jamie-

I have two questions for you. I am using the DLookup function but I have to hit F9 to get it to populate the Description field on the form.

It is also not populating the table after F9. Here is the function:

=DLookUp("Description","tblProdItemCodes","Series = " & Form!ItemNumber)

What do I need to do so I do not have to hit F9 to populate the field on the form and to populate the Description field on the table. Thanks

Have you tried to call the ReCalc method of your form ?

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

To add to PHV's suggestion, what is "Form!ItemNumber" referring too?

One usually uses either only the control name (if the control resides in the same form) or a fully qualified reference:

[tt]..."Series = " & [ItemNumber])[/tt]

or

[tt]..."Series = " & Forms![frmYourFormName]![ItemNumber])[/tt]

Roy-Vidar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back