Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.UNL FILE EXTENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuta

MIS
Feb 13, 2001
US
I have a cd with files with a .unl file extension. I have to transfer these files into Microsoft Access or MS SQL Server, but I don't know how to go about doing it. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I can interpret your need in two different ways: (1) you need to import the UNL file itself into a table column in Access, or (2) you need to import the contents of the file into the columns of a table in Access.

For interpretation 1:
You need to define a table column with the OLE Object data type, that much I know, but somebody else is going to have to help you from there on. I don't have any experience with this.

For interpretation 2:
Can you identify the program that "owns" the UNL extension? That program may be able to export to Access, or at least may be able to export to a format Access can then import.

Failing that, try opening a UNL file in WordPad. If you don't see any funny characters, and especially if you can identify how records and fields are delimited, you may be able to just copy the file with a TXT extension, maybe massage it a little bit, and import it with the Access Text Import Wizard.
Rick Sprague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back