Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unknown USB Port on Linux EL 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2005
US
Hi Experts:
I have just install Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 3.0
on my laptop(dell precision m70)but i can't use the USB port...
please tell me where can i find the drivers for the following:
1- network card(broadcom 57xx gigabit)
2- display adpter ( nvida quadro FXGO1400 )
3- USB Port ( intel(R) 82801FB/FBM

I have found it helpful to create a Knoppix (or Kanotix) Live CD and see what it can find on booting up. Both of these operating systems do a good job of probing you system and finding the appropriate driver and modules.

If Knoppix can find your USB port or other devices, you can look in the dmesg output to see what modules were loaded. Then you can try to figure out how to do that on your RH system.

You need to have a lot of patience if you want to run Linux on a laptop.

Good luck.

Er... What do you mean "can't use"? You mean arraching a flash drive doesn't automount, or other devices as well. What does 'tail /var/log/dmseg' return just aftet you plug in a device, and what does lsusb show? Also, post your a 'lsmod'.

Here's the deal with USB.
Usb uses a few different drivers for a few different things (these should show up in a lsmod):
usb-core -- needed for most usb
usb-hid -- needed for some devices
usb-storage -- which uses scsi, because of some auto magic similar to treating IDE optical drives as scsi devices, needed for Flash drives and the like

Dell has a few boards that do funny things with USB, in sepefic, on computers in the same era as the Optiplex-280, the USB ports for keyboard and mouse are special (which is also true of some of the first computers that supported UBS keyboards and mice)... I don't see why/how this would carry over to a laptop, but it is possible that this quirk is present.

I've babeled too much, with too little information to start with... Please provide more detial so we might be able to post a better answer.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Another solution may be changing your RedHat distro to Ubuntu which also does a really good job at probing and autosetting things like netcards and USB.

--
Roidhun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back