Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unknown process in task mgr

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDSKC

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
US
In taskmanager I have something listed as WIFD1.EXE, it will not allow me to end the process. I can find no reference to in the registry, or in services. I don't know if it is a bad thing, I just don't know what it is. I even did a search of the hard drive for that file, but no luck. Google doesn't give me any hits either... any ideas?

Thanks, Rich

Hi

Check this free utility out:

The Process Explorer display consists of two sub-windows. The top window always shows a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information displayed in the bottom window depends on the mode that Process Explorer is in: if it is in handle mode you’ll see the handles that the process selected in the top window has opened; if Process Explorer is in DLL mode you’ll see the DLLs and memory-mapped files that the process has loaded. Process Explorer also has a powerful search capability that will quickly show you which processes have particular handles opened or DLLs loaded.

The unique capabilities of Process Explorer make it useful for tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide insight into the way Windows and applications work.

Best regards.

Erik

When google doesn't know a filename, there's an extremely high probability that it's something bad with a randomly generated name. Time to do some thorough virus & spyware scanning. See the FAQ's for some suggested utilities.

Run HJT and post a LOG here...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

As smah said, if it's not in google then usually it's bad.

you can upload the file to virustotal below and get it scanned to make sure, you need to paste it's full path into the browse button, top left of the webpage and clcik send, then it wll be scanned by multiple anti virus programmes! Post the results back here!

Full path would be somehting like:

C:\windows\system32\WIFD1.EXE
C:\windows\WIFD1.EXE

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back