Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unknown password to Linksys BEFSR41 Router -must get password

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetConsultant

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2003
US
I have a situation where a Linksys BEFSR41 router was used in a corp enviornment and the IT guy never recorded the password and then left the company. now the router needs to be updated but I can't reset it because there are key settings inside that must be documented first. Any ideas on how to crack that pwd?

Please help if you know how...

I'm desperate!!!

try this...

try to access the setup page of the router via this link...

at default it is
and delete the password from there.. if that does not work no other choice but to restore the router to default settings...

Resetting not an option....

Know of anyone who can crack it? Company might be willing to pay small fee...

have you tried my going to that page and deleting the password there and applying the settings... that usually works when you get a "401 authorization failed"

ok in that case you input there

username : <none>
password : admin -- password at default

Yes, I've setup about 20+ units just like this... but when I came to this company someone else had configured this router and they were fired later. The password was never documented and need to be recovered. I have tried all sorts of passwords, including the default passwords. In addition the router's IP and other settings are no longer the default. not that that causes much of a problem... I just need to find the port forwarding settings. and the ISP config info. If I could retrieve theses two pages of info I would reset the router myself. Unfortunately the business this is for will be severley impacted if the router is reset.
I am willing to accept suggestions and $$$ proposals from anyone who can hack the password. This is a critical path item for me in setting up the rest of the network as the Linksys router is assigning DHCP addresses with the wrong DNS server and no WINS server.

Anyone who can help me will be rewarded in some fashion.

-Thanks Again

Have you tried to reset the unit? if not; take a paper clip and insert it into the hole marked &quot;reset&quot;. push and hold the button inside (using the paper clip) until the &quot;diag&quot; led lights up. then try to access the router again. you should have a page that asks for a new admin password and you will have the option to reset to factory defaults.

Cheers

I was wondering if you ever solved your problem because I have the same exact one. Hope you can help!

hi netconsultant or Daniel
wot is the answer to this? how do you get the router password if its already there and you don't know it???
thanx in advance
clare

I never resolved how to get it, I just tried every word that was written down on paper around the old it guys desk. eventually I got one that let me in. So I guess there wasn't anyone who knew the answer or was willing to post it...

I had this problem, and the way that I solve was: press the reset button, and at the same time try to connect to router by web browser using the IP direction. When you try to connect mantain pressed the reset button, it's the only way to enter in the configuration dialog without password.

good luck.

In first time the reset method it's to skip the password access, it does not affect the configuration, the only way to change the configuration it's using the configuration program.

Cheers.

I don't know what you mean by &quot;In first time&quot; but pressing the reset button does just as the button says-- resets! It resets the router to its factory defaults which don't include any port settings or anyother settings that are in place. So unless you are telling me that by pressing it and accessing it at the same time it prevents any real reset- than this method won't work for me. Please let me know- Thanks alot for your time!

NetConsultant- if you are still there - would you be able to test this method for me. You obiously know how valuable some of these settings can be. If you can first access one of these routers, write down all the settings, and then try this method, that would be great. The worst that can happen is a lost 5 minutes. But you will at least know for next time if this works. Thanks!
p.s. anyone else who wan'ts to try this please go ahead and post the results

I just reset mine by logging with no username and the password as suggested on the Linksys website:

Reach the web-based administrative utility by typing &quot; in your web browser's address line. Press Enter.
A Password window will appear. Type &quot;admin&quot; in the password box and leave the user line blank.

I hope this helps.

LINKSYS & OS X - Admin Setup.

What is the trick to accessing on a Mac OSX machine? I have a new Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 that is distributing addresses just fine.

Trouble is, I can never get to the admin page, no matter which browser I use. I type in : and sometimes, I can get to the page that asks you for the password, but the moment I type in ADMIN -- a red screen shows up that says error. And that's the end of it. As you know, Linksys provides no support for Mac users.

Someone PLEASE help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back