Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unknown network error

Status
Not open for further replies.

awskent

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2001
AU
After many frustrating hours I have found out that a Windows NT4 and Windows 2000 server will drop a users session to a mapped drive after 15 minutes (the default) to save on session usage. This can be seen by a red cross being displayed on the mapped drive in explorer (sometimes it is not displayed). Just by coincedence Lotus Notes will try to do a refresh on the data directory every 15 minutes (also default). Now if you go to explorer and hit the mapped drive with the cross on it a logon session will be activated with the server and you will be able to see the contents of the drive. This also happens with notes but because you have been disconnected you have already lost the full time connection need by notes to the ~notes.lck file you will get the error message.

References.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
Q297684
Q138365 (Registry key info is in here)

This is what I am trying at the moment. On the server where the user maps the drives, change the default value. We have changed it to 90 Minutes. There is also the same registry entry on the workstation as I found out when a red cross was displayed on two of the three drives even though they are all on the same server. I changed the value on the workstation to 90 minutes as well.

If this fails I am thinking of changing the startup directory to a url path instead of the h:\notes\data that you see so often but that is another discussion.

[pipe]
Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back