Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unknown Font Italicization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandlin

Technical User
Jun 18, 2006
US
Almost at my wits end with this one.
At my workplace, we use an older version of Quark; 5.0. For our outputting, we need to Save the Page as an EPS, but recently, I have been having the trouble that fonts that are of a bold type have been changing to an italics font when converted to the EPS file. This almost has been happening at random, as I'll pull up old files, change them, and have them converted to EPS with no problem, but other times, they'll all switch to the italicized mode.
The original Quark version will remain unchanged. This happens more often with the font C Helvetica Condensed Bold, but even switching to just C Helvetica Condensed with a Bold add on will also result in it switching to italics when saved as EPS.
Anyone who may have had similar problem or could offer any advice would be greatly thanked for his or her input. If there's anything I might be able to add to clarify this problem to others, I would be happy to oblige.
Thanks in advance.

...even though quark offers options to stylise typefaces, it is not a very efficient method to deal with fonts in this way and best avoided. It is far better to apply the font family correctly, without stylising typefaces that may or may not have a family version installed on a given system...

...change these via the utilities > usage > fonts to correct family versions, and to those that may also end up handling the file in the future, it can save a lot of frustration to all concerned. Changing them via utilities may shift text about so best check that text hasn't overset boxes. Text moving is a small price to pay for having a better, more reliable output...

...quark eps files can be problematic and best avoided too, better to postscript > pdf > eps if you really have to, or place Acrobat 4 (1.3) pdf files instead of eps...

Andrew

...in quark font usage a well structured layout will have (Plain) net the font name...

...if some fonts don't then you can end up entering the unknown...

...then people like pre-press get the blame...

Andrew

Thanks apepp for the suggestions.

I checked out the utilities > usage > fonts area to make sure that all fonts were of their proper styles, but despite that, the italics still pop up from the conversion.

I do believe that it's due to the problematic qualities of the .eps files with these older programs. I feel that some of the problem may be from Photoshop 5.0 since I use that to convert the .eps to the needed .tiff file for printing. A bit more experimenting had lead me to discover that when the file was Placed in Adobe Illustrator, the italicization did not occur. Regrettably, the older version of Illustrator cannot save files as a .tiff when they have placed elements in them.

Once back at work, I'll attempt the exporting to a .pdf file, though I'll need to reset the Adobe PDF Distiler, as the current one converts everything to b/w. ^___^;;;

Thanks again for the advice. n___n

I had a similar font problem with an inherited Quark doc some time ago. I finally traced that problem to the person who prepared it using caps lock, stylized caps, and the standard shift cap, all at the same time. The resulting postscript was garbonzo and it didn't matter whether I wen eps or pdf.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4 & G5

Hi kandlin
I never heard of a print shop that preferred to make a TIFF image to print from rather than printing from Quark.
However I just saved a Quark file to EPS and converted it to a TIFF image with GraphicsConverter and it printed fairly well, except it did not seem to fit the 8.5 x 11 sheet and had to be scaled down.
I think your best result would be exporting as a PDF since PDF seems to use the actual fonts to print rather than an image.
You can get GraphicsConverter to convert many formats one to another and I think you can try it for free, and it is not very expensive to buy.
Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back