Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unknown file in a Basic system

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbhit

Programmer
Nov 10, 2003
PK
Hi,

i have come across a dos based system which contains dat files at back end. there is a microsoft basic compiler residing in that system directory which means the system is built using MS basic. problem is, i am unable to determine the format of these dat files. coz i want to convert them. there is a utility (named "PEEK" which extracts the data from these files but in irruglar format which wont help the cause. kindly help in extracting data from these dat files.

How irregular is tha data when it is extracted using peek?

[blue]"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the other head of science is BAD! Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur; it bites!!" - The Tick[/blue]

Well the data is irregular in the sense that the fields lengths varies for records and sequence of fields is variable in records as well.

thnkx

Have you given any thought to using a more powerful scripting language. Perl will run on DOS.

[blue]"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the other head of science is BAD! Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur; it bites!!" - The Tick[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back