Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unknown device

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnn

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
IN
Hi
I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows (I have used 98 and me (problem is present with both))

but now I cant get any modem to work I have tried 3 seperate modems (2 internal 1 external) to the best of my knowledge i aheve installed them correctly (they work on other PC's)

There is an unknow communication device which I removed but it came back when windows started, my guess is that this device what ever it is is causing the problem
(no prises for that guess lol)

I even removed the modem all together and reformated but this unknown communication device is still there
all the devises in the manual are present and correct so I dont know what this one device is

is there any software out there that will identify this device ??

thanks for your time

When asked for the driver for the unknown device, browse to the modem drivers disk. If you don't get prompted, highlight it in device manager, Properties, driver tab, and update driver, then browse to the modem drivers disk. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Yeah i got similar problem. I formatted and still get the error. Im pretty sure that the unknown device is actually the modem that isn't recognised by your comp so looking for what this unknown devide is aint gonna help i don't think.
Ive tried heaps of times to reinstall. I've tried formatting (twice) and im at a loss as to the answer to this problem. The only 2 things i think it could possibly be is 1. a broken modem or 2. some setting in bios (though i've picked my way through it in detail, and even set BIOS settings back to default) :-(

If You don't know what to do and wants to buy the new computer :) You can do something:
Try to plug off all PCI & ISA cards except video card, plug off CD-ROM etc. Only video, HDD and FDD should left. Then look - is that mysterious device still here. Plug in your modem. If it works fine plug your devices one by one and look for that strange device. When it will appear break the device You've just been inserted :).
P.S.: I always do so when reinstalling Windows and it doesn't want to work with my scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back