Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unknown Device every time I logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disdain

Technical User
Aug 2, 2001
US
I've installed W2000 recently and all the hardware I have in my PC has been set up and works properly. However, each time I login I get the Found New Hardware wizard which finds an Unknown Device. I think it is confused from some previous software or hardware install.

Is there anywhere in the registry I can look for this unknown device and remove it?

Any help would be great.

have you looked in the device manager, this should give you an indication of what is causing the problems

Usually this can happen with a small component of the chipset/motherboard or other peripheral hardware that appears to be working fine. Sometimes it doesn't even show up in Device manager. Make sure you downloaded EVERY driver/utility/etc. from your vendor's website. Usually there are "Chipset Utilities" and such that re-enumerate all these different components and solve your isse. Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

When you get this error don't do cancel. Let it fail to find the drivers and finish,

Then go to device manager and look in unknown. Find its IRQ, DMA and IO settings and see if you can work it out from there.

If everything else works, leave it like that and you won't get the error message again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back