Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unknown 3com us robotics modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacekowboy

Technical User
Mar 25, 2001
US
i have an older pentium with a 3com us robotics modem, windows finds it as a communications device but none of the drivers ive used so far <guesses> will load.
i can do it manually, but then nothing will access it.

1. how do i find out which model it is?

2. is there a generic 56k driver?

3. does anyone know where the little program that cleans the modem references out
of the registry is? or how to do it?

4. tell me how to get it working again if anyone knows please.

so far ive tried several different winmodem and faxmodem drivers,switched the slot its in, removed the port and the modem and rebooted it; its found, but it stops there, when i load a driver manually it wont stay on com2, it goes to a blank where the port should show everytime i leave that window.

X-)

thanks paulwood, i had been to that usr website, but i missed that link previously. armed with that info, i found no way to match the model to a driver. my significant other,
irritated that she cldnt get on web, took it down to a computer store. where they said exactly the same thing.
its a 662975 model btw. so i wrote directly to 3com for info, and i am growing a beard waiting...

the store guys did say sometimes 3com and other mfgs, stop publishing drivers, including drivers for printers, etc.

any further info about a modem that is found by win98, but that wont load a driver, model 662975, is most welcomed.

there is as i recall some software that cleans the registry of all modem entries so new driver will install, anyone that knows where that is wld be thanked,

thanks

X-)

The program that cleans the registry of modem entries (for a winmodem) is called wmregdel.exe and it's on the Win98 CD under the x:\drivers\modem\3com-usr\winmodem folder (x being the drive letter of your CDROM). If you have a hardware modem, this is not the route to go.
If you're running WinME, open the pssutil.txt in the x:\tools\pssutil folder (directory). Search for wmremove.inf instructions in the pssutil.txt file and the instructions are there on how to remove registry entries for winmodems, a few of them.

A good generic driver is the Hayes Compatible. All modems were based on this architecture. You may lose some functionality of the modem if it's a data/fax/voice modem, but it will most likely work.

You can also check for the FCC I.D. # that is tagged on your hardwrae and then log onto the FCC website to find out what the model is.

That modem if I'm not mistaken, was a USR brain storm. They were sold to OEM dealers with no documentation. Just the modem and the driver. When I worked at a computer store we got some of those. The driver is not on 3Com's website to my knowledge(we couldn't find it there). We got the drivers from the vendor. If you have a local computer store (Independent) they may can help you with the driver. If I had a copy I'd sent it to ya but I unfortunatly don't. Sorry. Every day above ground is a GOOD DAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back